Start Date: Early August 2015 Location: Portland, OR Terms: Full time
The Public Laboratory for Open Technology and Science (Public Lab) is a community--supported by a 501(c)(3) non-profit--which develops and applies open-source tools to environmental exploration and investigation. By democratizing inexpensive and accessible Do-It-Yourself techniques, Public Lab creates a collaborative network of practitioners who actively re-imagine the human relationship with the environment.
We are looking for a full-time salaried manager of our environmental science kit production, sales and distribution program. Full-time work involves moving environmental science kits from production into sales, pursuing bulk sales and new distribution opportunities with an expectation that this position will generate additional revenue through an increase in bulk sales, growth of sales channels and new products. You will work with staff to grow sales of our existing successful line of kits, consolidate and stabilize existing kit production and inventory management, and oversee manufacturing and assembly operations, the online store, and shipping staff. Additionally, you will work with our community design teams to bring small and large runs of new kits to market.
Major Position Responsibilities
Current kits and production
- Growing sales and bulk sales through marketing and partnerships: museums, shops, and other online stores
- Expanding existing bulk sales partnerships to grow revenue
- Exploring possibilities for sales growth to existing customer base of over 5,000
- Reducing manufacturing and parts/supplies costs;
- Working with shipping and assembly team to keep to production timelines and inventory in stock;
- Working with our community and staff to bring large and small runs of kits to researchers, educators, and online and brick and mortar stores;
- Overseeing our shipping operations, shipping coordinator, and assembly operations.
- Overseeing online store and customer service (provided by shipping coordinator);
New kit development
- Finding and negotiating with manufacturers and suppliers for goods spec’d by our design team
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with resellers and bulk customers;
- The ideal candidate will have a background and strong instinct for marketing, sales and project management.
- Purchasing experience in a retail or manufacturing environment
- Customer service experience
- Sales experience
- Manufacturing experience a plus
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities Required
- Knowledge and appreciation of Public Lab (community & nonprofit), its mission, its approach to R&D and kit development, its programs and services, and the ability to communicate them effectively.
- Excellent communication skills–in written, verbal and online formats.
- Ability to work collaboratively, both in-person and with remote co-workers, to envision and promote positive change, and to be supportive of others.
- Ability to facilitate activities amongst a highly diverse community of people from many different fields and experience sets.
- Technical proficiency (with full support from co-workers)--ability to learn, disseminate and teach about technology in the context of community development.
- Excellent self-organizational and administrative skills.
- Ability to identify and solve problems as a team member, and to make decisions and involve others in the decision-making process where appropriate.
- Ability to create a work environment that fosters shared goals and objectives, and to be part of a cohesive online and offline community.
Compensation based on experience and qualifications. Please send a cover letter and resume to Shannon@publiclab.org by July 10th. No phone calls please.