Public Lab Research note


Making a DIY conductivity probe from a water bottle and metal screws

by donblair | | 5,747 views | 6 comments |

Read more: i.publiclab.org/n/11217


Creating a conductivity probe:

IMG_0722.JPG

IMG_0725.JPG

IMG_0724.JPG

IMG_0727.JPG

IMG_0728.JPG

IMG_0729.JPG

IMG_0731.JPG

IMG_0732.JPG

IMG_0733.JPG

IMG_0734.JPG

IMG_0735.JPG

IMG_0736.JPG

IMG_0737.JPG


I did this Help out by offering feedback!


People who did this (0)

None yet. Be the first to post one!


6 Comments

@donblair is there text that goes along with this too?

Is this a question? Click here to post it to the Questions page.

Reply to this comment...


Looks great! maybe we could add a picture of how the cut ends of the alligator clips go into the terminal block?

Is this a question? Click here to post it to the Questions page.

Reply to this comment...


I found a power drill very useful to get the screws into the caps.

Here's what you need to finish the ends of the wires from the alligator clips:

IMG_20160109_152716258_HDR.jpg

First you cut the two headed alligator clip wire in half:

IMG_20160109_152905711.jpg

IMG_20160109_152927826.jpg

Then put about a quarter inch or half centimer of the end of the wire in one of the circle cut holes. Squeeze the wire strippers and pull them sideways to cut off the rubber casing -- without cutting the wire inside!:

IMG_20160109_152955166.jpg

You'll have the exposed wire ends:

IMG_20160109_160756630.jpg

Stick the ends into one of the holes in the terminal block:

IMG_20160109_160848663.jpg

And use a screwdriver to screw down the screw and smoosh the wire so that it's held tightly:

IMG_20160109_160946459.jpg

Do the same for the other side (strip the rubber off the end of the wire, then screw the wire into the second hole in the terminal block), and you're done!

IMG_20160109_161054163.jpg

Reply to this comment...


So, I'm making 15 of these conductivity probes to go along with the Digikey order that makes 15 Coquis. Last night cut open 15 plastic bottles with caps, washed the upper parts of the bottles and the caps, and left them to dry on paper towels overnight. Today i started testing whether water leaks through/around the screws in the caps, so i floated two of the bottletops and screw caps on two different cups of water. After 4 hours, the caps did not leak, which is great!

Although now i realize this is not best practice, I took the opportunity while all the caps are dry to put silicone caulk around the base of the screws on the rest of them. This is no longer advised!

IMG_20160110_124300885_HDR.jpg

Reply to this comment...


Hey Liz!

Wow -- this looks great! Since this research note was originally posted, there are a few insights that have emerged:

  • Silicone doesn't seem to work very well as a sealant with the typical water bottle plastic -- it tends to leak -- and there's also the worry that some silicone sealants might include materials that would tend to corrode the probe materials over time (provide a conductive path between them). To avoid this, we're currently focusing on trying to use metal screws / bolts with rubber washers on both sides of the plastic, and a nut to tighten the assembly down -- as seen below:

medium_21376658534_6e8439127e_k.jpg

  • We've also realized that running the circuit at > 1.2 volts might induce electrolysis (to some unknown extent) in the liquid, affecting the measurement. So we might try to use a 555 timer with the lowest operating voltage we can find -- thus far, this one seems to run at 1V. We'll have to figure out how we might easily prototype this on a breadboard (might just required a voltage divider to drop whatever battery voltage we're using down to 1 V). Not sure how big an effect this is, or whether 1V is sufficiently low to avoid the problem. The circuit as-is does generally respond to changes in conductivity, so it's still useful as a demonstration of the concept.

Thanks for the great feedback!

Reply to this comment...


Ok great, thank you for the feedback! My next workshop is a demo only, so the voltage / electrolysis issue won't matter in this case thank goodness. Excited to see a future prototype from the Open Water team that addresses this issue!

Reply to this comment...


Login to comment.

Public Lab is open for anyone and will always be free. By signing up you'll join a diverse group of community researchers and tap into a lot of grassroots expertise.

Sign up