Kit Fulfillment Coordinator
Start Date: Mid-September 2017
Location: Providence, RI
Terms: 20-25 hours/week
The Public Laboratory for Open Technology and Science (Public Lab) is a community--supported by a 501(c)(3) non-profit--which develops and applies open-source tools to environmental exploration and investigation. By democratizing inexpensive and accessible Do-It-Yourself techniques, Public Lab creates a collaborative network of practitioners who actively re-imagine the human relationship with the environment.
We are looking for a part time inventory, assembly, and shipping coordinator for our environmental science kit production and distribution program. The basic function of the job is to fulfill orders, track sales through our online store, manage inventory, and handle customer service and inquiries regarding our products.
Major Position Responsibilities:
- A streamlined, reliable and efficient retail store that provides consistent and growing income from our popular kits to support the Public Lab non-profit.
- Increased efficiency and predictability of kit re-ordering, stocking, production, assembly, and shipping, for better cash-flow management.
- Reliable, transparent, and responsive reordering and restocking, and coordination with other parts of the organization.
Simplifying and optimizing assembly, tracking inventory
Tracking inventory is essential to good re-order planning and cashflow management. We're seeking a hyper-organized team member who can track supply levels of both completed kits and individual parts, and anticipate the need for re-orders while keeping our supply chain costs and storage space needs manageable. This position requires someone not only able to follow instructions and maintain systems, but to constantly improve processes.
Packaging, quality assurance and the customer experience
A key part of maintaining a clear and powerful brand and strong relationship with our community is making sure the kit unboxing experience is special. Our kits are many customers' first contact with our community. Kit packaging must look good inside and out and we must meet a high standard of product quality and user experience.
Supplier relationships & pickup
We work with many suppliers locally, nationally and internationally. Ordering stock and coordinating manufacturing, shipment and pickup of materials is essential to ensuring that kits remain in stock. The Kits Fulfillment Coordinator will support the Open Hardware Community Manager and Research Director by maintaining relationships with our suppliers, ordering parts and materials, and identifying opportunities for improvements in our supply chain.
Demonstrated 2-3 years experience working in a dynamic team environment. Interest and enthusiasm for corresponding between multiple offices within a predominantly online environment. Although past experience is desirable, at minimum a strong interest in supporting a network with many moving components is required.
1-2 years experience in a retail, supply chain or manufacturing environment, or 2-3 years of customer service experience
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities Required:
- Knowledge and appreciation of Public Lab (community & nonprofit), its mission, its approach to R&D and kit development, its programs and services, and the ability to communicate them effectively.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills.
- Strong communication skills--in written, verbal and online formats.
- Ability to work collaboratively, both in-person and with remote co-workers, to envision and promote positive change and to be supportive of others.
- Ability to facilitate activities amongst a highly diverse community of people from many different fields and experience sets.
- Technical proficiency (with full support from co-workers)--ability to learn, disseminate and teach about technology in the context of community development.
- Ability to identify and solve problems as a team member, and to make decisions and involve others in the decision-making process where appropriate.
- Ability to create a work environment that fosters shared goals and objectives, and to be part of a cohesive online and in-person community.
Compensation is between $12-$14/hour, based on experience and qualifications. Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 1, 2017. No phone calls please.
Public Lab is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage people with different ability sets, people of color, and people of all sexual orientations, gender expressions and identities to apply.