Amazingly, Summer of Code 2019 is approaching, or at least our Ideas list is starting to be needed to plan it out properly. Let's kick off some discussion of projects so that we coordinate the long-term plan for our community's code!
Traditionally we've compiled ideas at https://publiclab.org/gsoc-ideas, and informally at https://pad.publiclab.org/p/gsoc-ideas. This year let's get ahead of the curve and discuss a bunch here first, then collect them into a more formal list.
Here are some starting points:
- See this page for proposals from last year
- See our planning issues, many of which might make a nice project
Finally, here is a starting brainstorm to kick things off!
Core mission-driven projects
- Community Translation - https://github.com/publiclab/plots2/issues/3262
- Notifications API - https://github.com/publiclab/plots2/issues/2497
- Community Toolbox overhaul (and MVC model)
- MapKnitter Exporter - A REST-based Exporting/Queuing system for MapKnitter maps built around a Docker containerized Image Sequencer image processor
- Editor overhaul - https://github.com/publiclab/PublicLab.Editor
- WebGL in Image Sequencer: https://github.com/publiclab/image-sequencer/issues/542
- WebAssembly in Image Sequencer: https://github.com/publiclab/image-sequencer/issues/400
Maintenance/sustainability for our codebases
- Integrate Infragram.org into Plots2; shut down old site and use new stand-alone client-side version https://github.com/publiclab/infragram
- Legacy table deprecation: https://github.com/publiclab/plots2/issues/956
- Spectral Workbench Stand-alone capture interface https://github.com/publiclab/spectral-workbench.js/issues/56
- Import of legacy Google Groups archive to nodes: https://github.com/publiclab/plots2/issues/3305
Exploratory tools for environmental work
- MapKnitter UI - multiperson live editing, ordering... https://github.com/publiclab/Leaflet.DistortableImage
- Colorimetry tool using Image Sequencer to scan 2 colored regions on a piece of chemical testing paper
- Microscope live stitching blob detection and extraction of larger images from a panning live video feed
- Auto-stitch in MapKnitter: https://github.com/publiclab/Leaflet.DistortableImage/issues/110
Other ideas? Let's discuss and plan together!