Public Lab is an open community which collaboratively develops accessible, open source, Do-It-Yourself technologies for investigating local environmental health and justice issues.
Let’s talk about air quality data! Join us for Open Call on this topic every Tuesday until Dec. 14. Click here for details!
## What Does It Do?
**WebJack is a wired, bidirectional data link between the Arduino Uno and your phone, established via headphone jack.** It uses two distinct frequencies for a modem-like serial transmission of data. WebJacks runs in the browser and its goal is to provide a way to read sensors without the burden to install native applications. Look for recent updates on Public Lab [here](http://publiclab.org/tag/webjack).
This is a list of community-generated guides for specific applications and the development of WebJack. These [activities can be categorized](https://publiclab.org/wiki/activity-categories), and some may be more reproduced -- or reproducible -- than others. Try them out to build your skills, and help improve them by leaving comments. Together, we can repeat and refine the activities into experiments.
### Activity grid
## Frequently Asked Questions
Ask a question about WebJack
* data as text
* binary data
* Firmata RPC messages
We're working to refine and improve WebJack on a number of fronts; here, take a look at the leading challenges we're hoping to solve, and post your own.
Be sure to add:
* constraints: expense, complexity
* goals: performance, use cases
## Build a data link with WebJack
Instructions on the circuit and software needed for WebJack can be found here:
### Demo WebJack applications
- [Using Firmata with WebJack as transport](https://publiclab.github.io/webjack-firmata/example):
- [WebJack demo website](https://publiclab.github.io/webjack/examples)
- For more information about WebJack, post a question to the "dev" mailing list [here](https://groups.google.com/group/plots-dev)) (also listed in the left sidebar)
- The github repo of WebJack is [here](https://github.com/publiclab/webjack)