This page collects different ways to use Raspberry Pi computer boards (and related boards) to make small, cheap, lightweight cameras for different purposes, including #aerial-mapping, #balloon-mapping, #kite-mapping, #timelapse and #spectrometry.
Raspberry Pi Simple Camera Kit
We've been working on some software for this widely used mini camera-and-computer in a tiny box (especially the lightweight "Zero W" model) to make it available with a pre-flashed SD card that turns this into a ready-to-use WiFi enabled camera. This gets over many of the barriers of using the regular Raspberry Pi kit and having to do a lot of programming/installing to get it running.
We've managed to get a plug and play version running! Just plug it in using a Micro USB cable (or battery pack) and it'll create a WiFi network called "00PiCamera" -- password "publiclab" -- which you can log into from your phone or laptop. You'll quickly see streaming video, be able to take photos, timelapses, or videos, do motion triggered capture, and more:
- Pi Camera Kit
- Infragram Pi Camera Kit
- our Microscope Pi kits use this as well
- Pre-flashed SD cards for Raspberry Pi cameras
- combine with (maybe?) CR123a lithium battery (and tell us how that goes!)
Questions can be either frequently asked questions, or "next step" challenges we're looking to solve.
Activities show how to use this project, step by step.
|TetraPi: a well characterized multispectral camera||-||-||@khufkens||-||-||0 replications: Try it »|
|Introducing Pi Builder||-||-||@icarito||-||-||0 replications: Try it »|
|Raspberry Pi Camera Rig||-||-||@seankmcginnis||-||-||0 replications: Try it »|
|Prepare an SD card for a Raspberry Pi camera from scratch||-||-||@warren||-||-||1 replications: Try it »|
|3. Building a Basic Microscope Stage||-||-||@partsandcrafts||-||-||0 replications: Try it »|
|NDVI from PiNoir with a blue filter||-||-||@carolccarvalho||-||-||0 replications: Try it »|
|1. Setting up the Raspberry Pi Camera for Wireless Streaming||-||-||@partsandcrafts||-||-||0 replications: Try it »|
|How To Make Time Lapse Spectrometer||-||-||@LightWaveResearch8000||-||-||0 replications: Try it »|
|Set up a Raspberry Pi Camera with Pi Builder||-||-||@warren||-||-||0 replications: Try it »|
|Image Sequencer on Raspberry PI||-||-||@tech4gt||-||-||0 replications: Try it »|
Activities should include a materials list, costs and a step-by-step guide to construction with photos. Learn what makes a good activity here.
- Camera module http://m.e-cantonfair.com/#/product/552106
- Focus tricks https://raspi.tv/2013/adapt-your-raspberry-pi-camera-for-close-up-use
- Very detailed documentation https://elinux.org/Rpi_Camera_Module
- Datasheets and very detailed documentation on v1 camera: https://github.com/techyian/MMALSharp/wiki/OmniVision-OV5647-Camera-Module
- Datasheets and very detailed documentation on v2 camera: https://github.com/techyian/MMALSharp/wiki/Sony-IMX219-Camera-Module