This is a page to compile, share, and publish research about near-ultraviolet, visible, and near-infrared spectroscopy/spectrometry analysis techniques. Not all will be applicable to our DIY spectrometer, but many are a good starting point for investigation. If you want to publish research, post it on the Public Lab site and you can add it here too.
Some of the below papers describe other types of spectroscopy such as mid-infrared (MIR) or Fourier-transform infrared (FTIR) and the data they present will not be compatible/comparable with that which we gather in the 400-900nm range. But their methodologies may be a useful reference for those looking to reach similar results in the range our instruments can detect.
- Laundry detergent (for dyes)
Metals and soil
- Use tag "soil"
- Sodium, aluminum, barium and mercury in soil (Makezine.com)
- Oil/coal contamination
- Use tag "beer"
- Quantifying ethanol content of beer using interpretive near-infrared spectroscopy
- Applications of Vibrational Spectroscopy in Brewing (may be behind paywall)
- Rapid Determination of Bitterness in Beer Using Fluorescence Spectroscopy and Chemometrics
Wine & grapes
- Use tag "wine"
- UV-VIS Spectroscopy of Tannins and Phenols in Red Wine
- Vintage year determination of bottled Chinese rice wine by VIS-NIR spectroscopy
- Near infrared spectroscopy as a rapid tool to measure volatile aroma compounds in Riesling wine: Possibilities and limits
- Use tag "coffee"
- Discrimination of Arabica and Robusta in Instant Coffee by Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy and Chemometrics
- Discrimination of organic coffee via Fourier transform infrared-photoacoustic spectroscopy
- Determination of caffeine in decaffeinated coffee by NIR spectroscopy
- GiulianoM's work on coral reef lighting with custom LEDs
- he references this article on the same topic at AdvancedAquarist
- Mediamatic's work on measuring grow lights in aquaponics
Food Contamination Detection
NIR Spectroscopy for Detection and Quantification of Adulterants in Fresh and Thawed Minced Beef Using Linear and Non-linear Models (detection of pork, fat, offal)
THE ADVANCEMENT OF SPECTROSCOPIC SENSORS/CHEMOMETRIC ANALYSIS/BIOBASED PRODUCTS FOR QUALITY ASSESSMENT OF FIBER, GRAIN, AND FOOD COMMODITIES (detection of soy)
The development of near infrared (NIR) spectroscopy calibrations for the prediction of wheat and flour quality%20spectroscopy%20calibrations%20for%20the%20prediction%20of%20wheat%20and%20flour%20quality.mspx?fn=show&pubcon=345) (detection of wheat gluten?)