The Sand Sentinel Program is aimed at creating an easier way for people to collect and file reports on suspected permit violations by frac sand mining companies.
Due to its use in fracking, the frac sand mining industry has been plaguing communities in western Wisconsin for many years. In September 2018, a number of people from around the Midwest who are fighting frac sand mining issues hosted check-in meetings on how things were going, sharing notes on some projects to date and ideas on pathways forward people were seeing that were new, or could use some more attention (see notes here and here). The Sentinel Program, originally conceived of by @Pat was highlighted as an opportunity.
The goals of this project are to make frac sand mining industry violations easier for people to spot and understand, and to increase accountability and transparency in reporting.
Video introducing this program:
Links shared in this video:
- WI DNR Reporting Form page online
- DNR Air Permit Search
- Wisconsin Public Health Department Search
- Wisconsin Land and Water Conservation Association local contacts * note county Land and Water conservation groups mainly deal with water-related reporting around the frac sand mining sites
Below is draft materials for the Sentinel Program. Each document or page can be printed. (There is also a google docs version of this material available on this page)
People who are involved
- Pat Popple (@pat) for originating the project idea and mentoring,
- Lemmy Kamau (@kamau19) for his work researching Wisconsin Policies related to frac sand mining,
- Dwight Swenson (@dswenson) for sharing reporting and affidavit materials,
- Avery Van Gaard for her work on the Suspected Violations Information Form
- The Midwest Environmental Advocates for their review and materials on: REPORTING CONCERNS AND POTENTIAL VIOLATIONS TO THE WDNR
- Participants at the Project Outreach event in Arcadia April 13th, 2019,
- Professor Crispin Pierce (@crispinpierce) and his research team including Orion Allgaier (@OrionAllgaier), Connor Barns (@Cbarnes9), for their feedback on reporting monitoring notes,
- And to others who contributed ideas, information, and editing, including Heather Anderson (@Wicca), Cheryl Miller, Mary Kenosian (@marlokeno), Forest Jahnke, Glory Adams (@gloryaec), Sheila Danielson, and more.
Activities we've done in our project
So far on this project, we have:
- Collected materials people have used in the past in filing suspected violations,
- Hosted a fellowship to sift through Wisconsin specific policies that could create observable permit violations,
- Compiled a list of violations that could be observable by people,
- Collected resources on where materials can be reported to,
- Compiled a draft reporting form with information on what could be collected to support people's observations,
- Collaborated with partners and residents around Wisconsin and other parts of the country, and
- Created draft reporting form folder materials published below.
- Finalize the draft reporting form materials,
- Create an introduction to the folder,
- Create draft training materials for sharing on how to use the folder and do reporting.
- Pilot an in-person training.
Get involved or get updates
Interested in getting involved or following along in the project? Subscribe to the tag below to get updates when we post new material and comment in to help!
|Event: Wisconsin Sand Sentinel Training||@stevie||12 days ago||0|
|Practice reporting suspected frac sand violations||@stevie||18 days ago||2|
|How do I take good photographs of environmental issues?||@stevie||2 months ago||0|
|Draft Sand Sentinel Program||@stevie||4 months ago||0|
|Event: Frac Sand Mining Health Research Public Forum||@stevie||5 months ago||0|
|Frac Sand Sentinel Fellowship||@stevie||8 months ago||2|
|Notes from Tuesday’s frac sand call||@stevie||11 months ago||2|
|Recent conversations on the frac sand issue||@stevie||11 months ago||2|